Bible Reading: 1 Timothy 4: 9 – 14
Memory Verse: 1 Timothy 4:12 Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
“You can’t do that. You’re just a kid.”
“Wait until your older.”
Do you ever hear words like this? There are some things you can’t do as a kid. You can’t drive a car. You can’t quit school. You can’t become president.
Timothy was shy and afraid of leading because he was young. He worked with the Apostle Paul. He went with Paul on some of his missionary journeys and they became good friends. They were so close, that Paul said Timothy was like his own son.
The key verse for today was what Paul wrote to Timothy. “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.”
As a kid, you still can set the example. You may have younger brothers and sisters who copy you. They repeat what you say. They copy what you do. They follow you. If you don’t like how they act, you might check if they learned it from you.
You can be an example to older people too. Adults learn from kids about faith, generosity, friendship and forgiveness. When I see young children worship the Lord with all their hearts, it causes me to wake my heart.
Paul gave Timothy five ways we can be an example to all believers.
- In speech. Be honest and kind. Say “thank you.”
- In life. Your actions should please God. The way you spend your time and entertainment should bring Him glory.
- In love. How we treat the new kid, the unpopular kid, and our enemies tells a lot about our hearts.
- In faith. Faith is trusting God. It’s obeying his commandments even when it’s hard or unpopular.
- In purity. You don’t let bugs swim in your drinking water. In the same way, protect your heart against jealousy, selfishness, and sin.
You can be a godly example in your family, in your school and in your neighborhood. Let your light shine for everyone.
What about you?
Read the five areas again. Which areas are the hardest to be an example for you?
If someone said about you, “That person is a true believer,” what would be their reasons?